The Force Awakens Box Office Numbers
“The happiest day of my life.” “Amazing.” “Star Wars is back.”
We’re willing to bet that if you’re on this site, you’re extremely aware and relieved that Star Wars: the Force Awakens was released to the world after an agonizing year of waiting and speculation. And the world’s reaction? Well we included a couple of quotes for you in the line above.
Star Wars: The Force Awakens hit the ground running, blowing the doors off of the 4,134 theaters it appeared in across the planet, shattering any and all previous opening weekend numbers for ticket sales. The final numbers after Sunday ticket sales had all been counted put Star Wars at $528,000,000.00 in revenue worldwide, making it the second movie in history to ever break half a billion dollars in its opening weekend.
While staggering, and record-setting, The Force Awakens box-office numbers are not surprising, and are continued testaments to the franchise.
Star Wars The Force Awakens Box Office Record Sales
- 4,134 – Total number of theaters worldwide that hosted Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
- $528 million – Total star wars ticket sales from opening weekend of the film.
- $525 million – Previous record for ticket sales in an opening weekend, held by “Jurassic World.”
- $4 billion – Price Tag Disney paid for the franchise’s production company, Lucasfilm, in 2012.
- $120 million – Opening day Star Wars box office sales in the U.S. for Friday December 18th – $30 million more than the previous opening-day record for ticket sales (Also held by Jurassic World).