The Lore Behind the Green Lightsaber
Lightsabers are used by the Jedi, Sith, and other Force-sensitive beings. It is a weapon that was not for the weak-willed, requiring vast amounts of determination and training, often stretching over the course of a lifetime. Lightsabers are among the most powerful weapons in the galaxy, possessing the power to carve through nearly anything.
Consisting of a plasma blade and sword hilt, the weapon derives its power from a crystal. The term crystal can be used to describe a crystal, gem, stone, or small object which is at the core of a lightsaber.
Other than another lightsaber, the only things that could block a saber attack was a material that conducts energy, such as an electrostaff, Z6 riot control baton, and very rare metals.
The origin of the first lightsaber has been lost in history, with no clear proof of a definitive beginning. However, it is known that lightsabers were being used thousands of years before the age of the Republic, in the Great Scourge of Malachor, and in the Battles of Rashfond and the Peacekepping of Parilock.
It wasn’t until the Clone Wars that the lightsaber becomes an iconic symbol of the Jedi Order across the galaxy. It was then that knighting ceremonies became an integral part of the knighting ceremonies of the Jedi Order. During the ceremony, a Padawan would have his or Padawan braid ritualistically severed by the presiding Jedi Master.
The master would then motion the blade near each of the Padawan’s shoulders and say “By the right of the Council, by the will of the Force, [insert Padawan’s name here], you may rise.” Prior to the Clone Wars, the Jedi were known as peacekeepers. In the face of evil, the Jedi took up arms and rose as Jedi Generals of the Grand Army of the Republic.
Following the end of the Clone Wars, the Jedi Purge took place. It was then that the Sith Lord Darth Sidious created the Galactic Empire and sought to eradicate the Jedi Order. The Jedi were declared enemies of the Republic, and the Grand Army of the Republic was ordered to turn on and murder their once leaders.
Many of the Jedi died, as a result, almost eliminating the Order. In the 20 or so years that followed the Jedi Purge, the remaining Jedi fell victim to the wrath of Darth Vader, Inquisitors, Emperor’s Hand’s, Dark Jedi and even bounty hunters. Eventually, so few Jedi remained that Darth Sidious called off the manhunt, no longer considering the Jedi a realistic threat.
Darth Sidious’ presumptions came too soon. Although the Empire reigned over the galaxy, a rebellion was born. After Luke Skywalker and his comrades defeated the Empire, Luke began training a new generation of Jedi. Unfortunately, these Jedi were murdered by Kylo Ren, forcing Luke in hiding.
It is apparent that lightsabers played a significant role in shaping Star Wars history. The remainder of this article will examine the lore and history of the green lightsaber.
The Consulars are the group of Jedi who most often wielded a lightsaber with a green blade as a representation of their commitment to peace. These Jedi honed their craft in the art of meditation and diplomacy, subjecting themselves to countless hours of academic thought. Many Consulars worked side by side with the Republic Diplomatic Corps, with the greatest Consulars being granted a position on the Council of Reconciliation.
These individuals were responsible for political negotiation with factions both inside and outside of the Galactic Senate. However, the Consulars also had other options than serving as a political figure. Additional specializations such as a teacher, seer, and healer all aligned with the way of the Consular’s perspective. The upper echelon of Jedi Consulars was dubbed Sage Master, demonstrating superior Force-abilities, proven in combat, and the political stage alike.
The sub-branches of the Jedi Consular included the following career paths:
- Jedi Ambassador – Liaison between newly discovered worlds and the Republic Senate. Frequently tasked with mediating membership discussions surrounding the galactic regime.
- Jedi Diplomat – Responsible for the meticulous task of writing treaties and resolving political disputes. These individuals used their extensive knowledge of intergalactic political history, and Force-attuned insights to handle delicate diplomatic negotiations.
- Jedi Healer – Healers were required to cure and stop the spread of disease. They used to Force to accelerate the healing process, and drew upon the Living Force to preserve life. These Jedi were often found on the battlefields of war-torn worlds to aid injured soldiers.
- Lore Keepers – Governed by the Librarian’s Assembly of the Jedi Temple on Coruscant, these Jedi maintained the archives. Lore Keepers can further be broken into the separate groups of Archivist, Historian, and Librarian
- Jedi Researcher – While Lore Keepers were responsible for the maintained of the archives, Researchers updated the archive with new information. These were the archaeologists, mathematicians, biologists, geologists, astronomers, and more of the scientific world.
- Jedi Seers – Perhaps the most mysterious of Consulars, Seers are gifted with pre- and post cognition. This allowed them glimpses in history, both what has passed and what is yet to come. Jedi Prophets were the leaders of the Seers, and were privy to divine visions, such as the Prophecy of the Chosen One.
The kyber crystal is the most commonly used crystal when building a lightsaber. Here, we will provide an overview of the unique abilities three other rare crystals had that powered green lightsabers.
These very rare Force-reactive crystals are used to make among the finest lightsabers ever made. Adgean crystals hold a strong affinity to Jedi who wields its power, and the Force. These rare crystals are considered superior to the bountiful crystals found on the planet Ilum, and were used to create strong sabers.
The powerful lightsaber crystal was used left often than the Adegan. Allay’s Redemption was unique in that it produced an acidic effect when used in combat, which left the stricken opponent with a debilitating amount of poison coursing through their veins. The threat this venomous lightsaber emits is easily identifiable by the light green color. This crystal is named after a rogue Jedi Knight of the Old Republic.
Meetra Surik Crystal
Named after another exile of the Jedi Order, the Meetra Suirk crystal that is naturally-forming on the planet of Dantooine. This crystal could absorb the excess energy from beings whom are attuned to the Force. Additionally, this crystal enhanced the potency of subsidiary crystals found on a lightsaber.